Monday 18 April 2016

Nandi Kund Trek : Quest through the Garhwal Himalaya

Launtri Khark – Sujaal Sarovaar and back

39.          The next morning the weather was crystal clear and the objective was to visit sujaal sarovaar about which I had read about but not seen any images. My guide was confident of the way and hence it was decided that we both would move immediately and if required any of the team members who are interested could follow later. So accordingly we set out just carrying a bottle of hot water and my camera gear.

40.          The route was straight up and the incline started immediately, a continuous gain in elevation. Thankfully the weather held up. Halfway across I looked back and could see specks moving towards me and surprise of surprise the entire team was following, everyone wanted to visit this elusive taal and this showed the morale in the camp as guys wanted to participate in all the activities voluntarily. On the way we crossed Myna Taal , totally snowed out at elevation of 4357 mts.This is the intersection for those going towards Panpatia Col trek. After a few more hours of climbing by around noon I was totally exhausted and it was an effort to take each step and I was just not carrying any big bags but the climb was totally uphill since the last few hours with no relaxation in the steepness. My reserves had almost depleted and my guide was now close to me matching my speed as he wanted me to make it. Finally I reached the tip of the ridge and rising in front of me was the mighty Chaukhamba Massif along with various other peaks that I am not aware of .. at the bottom was the elusive lake, Sujaal . A magnificent spectacle indeed, totally out of this world, my first experience of being close to Himalayan Peaks and deep snow. The view of Chaukhamba was truly magical. The GPS read 4800 mts.

41.          My head porter came up to me and said that it is not that I was lucky to have come up to here and seen this, it was ordained that I would come here and that this spectacle would be witnessed by me. It was ordained that on this day at this moment the weather would hold for us to witness this view and at that moment the words sounded so poignant. It was indeed a place of Gods. There is absolutely no path to reach this place and a experienced guide is a must. After few minutes we turned back and retraced out path … walking carefully over the steep slope stepping over huge boulders all the while. By four in the evening I could see my camp down below and in an hour we finally reached the site.


42.          That evening was a happy one indeed as i dried my clothes .. and generally undertook maintenance of my gear and clothing relaxing after a successful day indeed. Tomorrow was the onward journey ahead to PandavSera.


























































No comments:

Post a Comment