Sunday 18 January 2015

NORTHERN EXPEDITION 2014 : HOMEWARD BOUND

# DAY XVIII , XIX & XX: Jammu to Mumbai

#136.     From here on there is nothing much to write as we were on the return leg and were on the great Indian Highways . The route to Delhi was quite clear cut as we streaked across the Punjab heartland bypassing major cities and powering on ahead.

#137.     The second day saw us moving from Delhi towards Udaipur which by now we had become so very familiar with and the third day saw us doing the final stretch from Udaipur to Mumbai. Oh yes on this day we had the breakdown that was giving me an indication about which I had written in the earlier post , the moment I crossed Rajasthan and entered Gujrat , at one stretch where I braked substantially , there started emanating a substantial sound from the breaks. I realized that something had gone wrong and was wondering what next to do. I did call up M&M at Ahmedabad and they said to come over and they would look at it however luckily as I was crossing Himmatnnagar I was able to locate a M&M service centre and pulled in there.

#138.     The mechanics confirmed that my break pads had totally worn out on the right wheel and I had to go in for a replacement. The job took a total of 03 hours and I wondered if this had happened because of the trip to highly rough roads , I pondered for a while and then took out the vehicle log sheets and compared the periodicity of the previous break pad change and it turned out that in the way I drive I generally wear the pads after a certain period of Kms and the same had happened .It iwas not related to the terrain that I had been to , it had more to do with the way I use the pads and my driving procedure J. In a way I am glad that I did not attempt the Zanskar sector as then I would have been stuck with worn out pads either in the Zanskar region or on the way to Srinagar or on the road to Jammu  and all these three sectors at that time were definitely demanding and would have actually put me in a bothersome situation.

#139.     The pads replaced, the INDOMITABLE was good to go and we started for home destination and reached Mumbai late in the night .

The final ODO reading stood at 79278. Total KMs on the road were 7022







BACK IN THE PARKING SLOT : 20 DAYS ON THE ROAD ( CONCLUSION OF TRIP) 



No comments:

Post a Comment