Friday 9 January 2015

NORTHERN EXPEDITION 2014 : DAY XIV , in the tracts on the Changthang Peninsula

# DAY XIV : Hanle to Leh

#116.     In this trip I left out three major sectors and these are Tso Moriri , Zanskar , the lakes around Eastern Ladakh and two main passes which are Marsimek La and Photi La. These could not be covered owing to a variety of reasons which included the strain that was being felt by my co navigator J and the lure of the Durga Puja which was fast approaching and also one major factor about which I will speak in a while.

#117.     Today we were scheduled to visit Tso Moriri and spend the night at Karzok. Accordingly we bid good bye to Sonam and his family and set out on the route to Tso Moriri which was an easy track. Out on this day I got stuck in a bad manner. There was this road repair happening on the road which is from Hanle to Rongo and accordingly I was leaving the road to go on to the dirt/sand track and then rejoin back.

#118.     At one such section owing to a combination of factors I digressed from the tar road and the speed slowed down considerably and I stalled. Well no problem I thought will revv the accelerator and move out. I did the same and no movement at all, the wheels went in a bit more. Got down to check and saw that the front right wheel was having no grip at all, I decided to reverse and move back .Accordingly I did that but to no avail , I went a bit back and got stuck again. This was getting serious, so opened the boot and took out the shovel to take the sand out and lay down stones in order for the wheels to get a grip. This technique did work and I was able to move a bit but somehow was not getting sufficient momentum to make it out.

#119.     So I resigned myself to a long excavation process and work on this in a methodical manner rather than the quick solution that I was looking at, accordingly started removing the sand from the entire path around the wheel and the path that the wheels would travel , around 30 min passed and I was going on it with determination when I saw two gypsies coming, I immediately flagged then down and they turned out to be senior army officials on a inspection visit. Seeing my dilemma, they offered to pull me out and using the shackles and rope that I had, it was a matter of minutes and the IDOMITABLE was out effortlessly.

#120.     I thanked them profusely and in return they offered me hot ginger tea on a lonely Ladakhi Highway, now that’s what is called as Army Hospitality at its best no matter what ever is the situation or the place. Lesson learnt is that one has to be ever watchful in Ladakh , had I been careful and paid attention to speed and terrain I would not have been stuck in such a manner.

#121.     Soon after this delay we moved ahead and by noon we were at the turn off to Tso Moriri at Mahe, out here somehow after a brief discussion the trip to Tso Moriri was called off and we proceeded to Leh. The road to Leh through the Changthang region is under repair and the going was slow as we were stuck thereafter in a massive army convoy on the narrow road. Eventually after a grueling trip we trudged into Leh at 1700 hrs. The INDOMITABLE was emanating a hissing sound on some occasions and this was playing in my mind as I was unable to diagnose what was causing this.


ODO for the day stood at 76196.



COLOURS OF HANLE  



WE WERE THE GUESTS OUT HERE  



TAKE ME BACK TO THIS MYSTICAL PLACE AGAIN  

No comments:

Post a Comment